Tuesday, February 25, 2014

You ate WHAT?


I fell off the healthy eating bandwagon last Saturday. My sister and I spent the day shopping and supporting the economy and along the way, I wreaked havoc with my nutrition.
Here’s how the day went.

9 a.m. Oatmeal with a sliced banana. Starts out innocent enough.
11-ish New shoes! Must celebrate with a raspberry white chocolate scone and a mocha. With whipped cream.
1:00 Stopped for gas on the way to the outlet mall and I needed a snack. Gas stations provide dreadful choices so I end up with a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. Gawd.
3-ish. Late lunch at a gourmet grilled cheese restaurant. Ate a dripping-in-butter grilled cheese sandwich, chips and a chocolate chip cookie. (Hey. The cookie came the meal so I had to eat it. Don’t judge me.)
7-ish Glass of wine. Probably the healthiest thing I had all day.
9-ish Leftover Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo eaten cold and standing up in front of the refrigerator. Oh, and another glass of wine.
10-ish (This is where it gets really ugly.) Several handfuls of chocolate chips, a few Wheat Thins and another glass of wine.

Oh, the humanity.

So the next morning, as God is my witness, I woke up thinking about those chocolate chips and I was tempted to finish them off. With absolutely herculean effort, I resisted and worked out instead. And by the time I got home, I was back in control. The chocolate chips will live for another day.

So what is the moral of the story?
a.     Don’t mix nutrition with Kate Spade.
b.     Blame it all on your sister. She’s such an enabler.
c.      Just surrender. You can return those new size 4 jeans.
d.     Kick it to the curb and move on.

I choose d.
I refuse to beat myself up about a shopping/eating spree. It happened, it’s over and I’m back on track. Real food, lots of fruits and veggies, consistent exercise.
Maybe before I go shopping next time, I’ll make a plan to avoid getting hungry and eating everything in sight. I can’t say it won’t ever happen again, but having a plan might help me  avoid the chocolate chips.





No comments:

Post a Comment