Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Be Strong


You had the power all along, my dear. – Glinda the Good Witch
  
Pitbull! Demi Lovato! Lady Gaga! Matchbox 20!
New routines are coming to Jazzercise and that means new music, new moves and new motivation.

Music is a huge motivator for me. Lately, I’ve had Pharrell’s “Happy” song on a loop in my head and it makes me want to bust a move while I’m standing in line at the grocery store or walking from the car to my office. (I’m afraid someone might call the police so I usually restrain myself and save my dancing for Jazzercise.)

Motivation certainly can be hard to find. I’m the only one who can get myself to the gym or come up with excuses not to go. It’s too cold. I’m too tired. I’m depressed. I’m celebrating. I’m busy. It’s Tuesday. I already blew it at lunch so why bother?

But I also have a list of reasons why I should work out. I’ll feel better later. I need an hour all to myself. I’ll sleep better. I won’t be so crabby. I blew it at lunch so this is my chance to make it right.

I can also turn to some of my favorite fitness gurus for help.
  •  Fara, a jazzercise instructor, always find ways to challenge her class. Lift your knees higher! Try a heavier weight!  She encourages clients to look for progress in the way they feel, not in a number on a scale. And she reminds us that we have the power over our own fitness. “No one can give you fitness, but the cool thing is, no one can take it away either,” she says.
  • Lindsay, another instructor, agrees that the focus should be on lifestyle, not weight loss. “Sleep better. Make new friends. Smile. Drink water. Dance. Have fun. Build muscle,” she says. “The actual workout is a small component of what Jazzercise strives to do to improve a lifestyle.” I try to remind myself every day it's a lifestyle choice that leads to real results.
  •  Rachel is a personal trainer at Prairie Life Fitness. (AKA G.I. Jane.) Her motivation comes from the desire to have the energy to enjoy life. She encourages clients to identify why they want to be lose weight, feel better, be healthier. Then set realistic goals to get there. “Goal setting is a great way to help you focus on what you want and when you want it,” said Rachel.
  •  And here’s a practical tip from Mary, another instructor at Jazzercise. Her advice? “Never wear stretch pants around the house. They make you feel skinny until you put on your favorite blue jeans.” (That’s one of the reasons I love Mary’s classes. She makes me laugh.) And I'd add to that...never buy slacks with elastic waists!


No comments:

Post a Comment