Monday, October 13, 2014

A Sloth in Pajamas

Sometimes, I joke about staying in pajamas all day.

Sunday, I did it.
PJs.
All. Day. Long.
It was UH-mazing.

It was a gorgeous fall day and I don't think I ever stepped outside, except to let the dogs out. I kept thinking: I should go outside and rake leaves. I should take the dogs for a walk. I should work out. Those things and (many more "should-as") never happened.

Now, this is not normal for me. I usually have a very long to-do list on the weekends and I tend to barrel through it relentlessly. And on Saturday, that's what I did. Yoga, groceries, laundry, cleaning, errands. Check, check, check, check.

But Sunday, I started with the paper and coffee and ended with a good book. In between, I did my nails, worked on a scarf and a sweater I'm knitting,  thought about the fall and what I want to accomplish, made a fall bucket list and watched TV. Oh, and I think there was a nap in there somewhere.

Did I say it felt great?

This morning,  I had a twinge of guilt for wasting a day. Then I came to work this morning and saw this article and felt vindicated. The author of  The Lost Practice of Resting One Day Each Week talks about the importance of rest for our body and mind. But it was the rest for the soul that caught my attention.

We live in a 24/7 world where "busyness" equals success. We can be reached no matter where we are or what we're doing. Information is at our fingertips and there's never an excuse for being unconnected. Sometimes, I check into Twitter or Facebook and it ratchets up my anxiety because I feel like I'm missing out. I should be on the move. Doing something, making something, buying something.

The result is less time to think, reflect and just breathe. There's value in simplicity, quiet, contentment and being restful.

I don't think I'll spend every Sunday as a sloth in pajamas - not really my style. But rest is essential and helps me return to work feeling less frazzled and more energized. (Besides, it gave me an excuse to google sloth in pjs and find adorable pictures. The internet is a wonderful thing.)




No comments:

Post a Comment