Monday, January 13, 2014

Snack Attack



Yogurt, raspberries, granola
 
    Snacking? Yes. I'm a fan.
   My mother used to call it “piecing”, as in: “Don’t worry about a big dinner. We’re just going to piece all day.” (I guess that means, a piece of this and a piece of that.) I’ve also heard it called “grazing” but that makes me think of cows, which isn’t the image I’m going for.
   Whatever you want to call it, I’m pro-snack and I work them into my diet throughout the day.
Some people believe eating small amounts of food more often speeds up the metabolism, which helps the body burn calories more efficiently. Others say the science doesn’t really back up that claim.
    But one thing for sure: snacking/piecing/grazing keeps me from getting so hungry that I dive head first into a bowl of m’n’ms. I just make sure portion sizes are small to prevent overloading on calories.
   My favorite snack is low-fat Greek yogurt with berries and a handful of granola. It’s high in protein and it satisfies my sweet tooth. I use fresh berries when possible and frozen in the winter.
No-Bake Protein Bar
   Last week, I made a batch of no-bake protein bars using natural peanut butter, honey, chocolate protein powder, cranberries and granola. These are great for slipping in my bag so I have something to curb the hunger pangs after a workout. You can find the recipe at skinnyms.com
   Here are a few other ideas for healthy snacks:
  •      Peanut butter on a celery stick or apple slice.
  •     A handful of raisins. 
  •      Humus and whole wheat crackers.
  •      Banana
  •     Cheese stick
  •     A 100 calorie bag of popcorn. (I know I could probably pop my own and measure out the right amount but the snack bags are convenient and keep me from overeating.)
   A small square of dark chocolate is another good choice but I’m such a chocoholic I’d be tempted to eat the whole bar!
   What are your favorite snacks?



No comments:

Post a Comment