That's how I started my weekend and I might have stayed on the couch, had it not been for those pesky New Year's Resolutions made less than a week ago. Ya know...that thing about working out consistently?
These are the times when a little voice starts yapping: "Go ahead and relax. It's too cold to go out. Just for today. You can make it up later. Start tomorrow."
I give credit to my friend Kim, for blasting me off the couch by telling me via Facebook that if I work out, I would feel "righteous" and then blog about it.
Hence, today's blog. What motivates you to work out when it's dark, cold, snowy and generally inhospitable to humans?
- Talk to yourself. Not in an off-her-meds way but in a positive self-talk voice that counteracts the couch potato voice. "C'mon, you're tougher than the temperature. You can do this."
- If that doesn't work, bargain with yourself. Tell yourself, if you just put give it a try and go to class, you have permission to go back into couch mode later.
- Start a motivation board on Pinterest or a file of cold weather warm-ups. Include pictures of a beach vacation you're planning and a bikini you'd love to fit into.
- Post your intention to work out on social media. Then check in on FourSquare or Facebook so everyone knows you followed through.
- Make a date to meet a friend in class and put it on the calendar. You'll be less likely to bail if you have a workout buddy.
And I was.
The class was packed with other former couch potatoes who laugh in the face of windchill. Fara, the instructor, got the music going and I got moving. Soon I ditched the sweatshirt and before long we were all groaning and moaning and sweating together.
What are your tricks to get moving?